Hammer ToesPocatello, ID
WHAT IS A HAMMER TOE?
A hammertoe is an abnormal bending of the second, third, or fourth toes. This is a mild deformity that can get progressively worse. In the beginning, hammertoes are flexible and can be corrected with noninvasive, simple measures. The abnormal bending can put painful pressure on the toe when wearing shoes and if untreated, hammertoes may require surgery because they stop responding to non-surgical treatments.
WHAT CAUSES HAMMER TOE?
Hammer toe is most often caused by wearing shoes that do not fit correctly combined with other factors such as muscle/tendon imbalance, age, foot structure, etc. Hammertoes can be genetic and may form from trauma to the toe.
DIAGNOSING AND TREATING HAMMER TOE
To properly diagnose hammer toe a podiatrist may examine your foot, get a history, manipulate your foot to understand symptoms, and possibly order X-rays. Hammertoes progressively become worse if not treated. They will not go away by themselves. There are several non-surgical treatment options available including:
- Changing your shoes – You should avoid high heels, shoes with narrow, pointed toes, and shoes that are too small.
- Injections – Steroid injections are an option to help decrease the pain and inflammation caused by hammertoe.
- Medications – Your podiatrist may prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, to control pain and inflammation.
- Orthotic Devices – Custom orthotics may be used in your shoe to help with muscle/tendon imbalance.
- Exercises – A doctor may prescribe exercises to stretch and strengthen the muscles.
- Surgery – Surgery is rarely required and only used if other non-surgical treatments work. Hammertoe surgery is typically an outpatient procedure with local anesthetic.
Diabetic foot ulcers are a very serious health issue. These ulcers are a potential complication of diabetes and typically occur on the bottom of a person’s foot. They look and behave like open sores or wounds and can easily become infected without proper treatment.If an infection develops around a diabetic foot ulcer, amputation of the…
A broken foot or fracture is one of the most common bone injuries people experience. According to Web MD, roughly one in every ten fractures occurs in the foot. Whether these are stress fractures or are caused by major accidents, these fractures require treatment in order to heal properly.While this type of injury happens frequently,…
Wondering what exactly is causing your arch pain? Arch pain is one of the more common types of foot pain people experience. While this type of pain often occurs in runners and other types of athletes, anyone can be diagnosed with arch pain.The arch of a foot is the part of the foot that starts…
Wanting more information on plantar warts? According to Harvard Health, plantar warts are hard, grainy growths that often appear on the heels or balls of your feet. These growths are caused by the HPV virus that is introduced to the body via small wounds in the bottom of one’s feet.These warts are not considered to…
Podiatrists near Pocatello specialize in all things related to feet just like any other podiatrist. These doctors diagnose and treat medical conditions that relate to the feet, and sometimes the ankles too. When trying to find a podiatrist, it is important to consider a few things so that you can find the best person.In this…